Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Thoughts While Procrastinating

I can't help but look at the Empire State Building because, for one, it's right outside my bedroom window; two, because it's all lit up and three, because it's massive and could kick all the other building's asses. 

And every time I gaze at it, I realize that it's one of the only constants in my life. It'll never get old. It will never die or leave me. And then I smile, and think about all the stories it has to tell. Like how many kisses took place on the top deck, how many proposals? How many elated tourists excitedly chattered about the view and how many little kids squealed with a combination of awe and fright? And then, of course, my mind wonders to Cary Grant in An Affair to Remember and I wonder how many people, in real life love affairs, romantically met up there?

And, of course, then I think of the time my brother bumped into the guy who ended up shooting seven people up there in 1997. What luck that my father, brother and I escaped when we did (but of course that didn't stop my mom from convincing herself that we were all dead because she saw the news story about it. Wait, what? Why didn't she call our cell? Oh yeah. Because normal people didn't own them then)

No comments:

Post a Comment